TRANSQUEBEC Classic Rally - 29th September – 7th October 2012
As the second largest country in the world after Russia, Canada covers a total surface area almost equal to the entire continent of Europe. With almost two million lakes, it is the largest reserve of water in the world. This young nation state, founded in 1867, is surrounded by the Atlantic, Pacific and Arctic Oceans.
Quebec is the largest French-speaking territory in the world and spans from the banks of the Saint Laurent River to the edge of the Hudson Straits, the land of Inuits.
From picturesque fishing villages to the vast plains, and the Laurentian Mountain Range, this Commonwealth country has no end of heritage to explore.
The people of Quebec, jovial and welcoming, are deeply rooted in French-speaking culture, in their European roots but also with their ‘American way of life’. This unique ‘Euro-American’ blend is enchanting in more than one respect, beginning with the inimitable Quebec accent.
Meeting residents of Quebec is like a meeting with ‘big brother or sister’ to whom you can feel close, but who share the ‘nothing is impossible’ attitude of their American neighbours. There, everything is large, the roads, the lorries, the bridges, the lakes, but in the depths of the Quebec countryside, there are hundreds of tracks and small roads which criss-cross this magnificent countryside.
We are inviting you to discover this immense and diverse country behind the wheel of your classic car (or American Sportscar) in a TDS rally which will certainly be spectacular. In autumn, during the ‘colourful’ period as the locals call it, nature is abloom with colour and light. Dive into this Indian summer by driving the tracks and roads of Quebec which will offer an unforgettable experience.
Mercedes- Benz dominated European sports car racing in 1952, finishing second on its debut in the Mille Miglia and then winning at Le Mans, the Nurburgring and in the South American Carrera Panamericana. The successful car was a lightweight coupe designed by Rudolf Uhlenhaut, known internally as W194. It took its engine and suspension from the existing 300 saloon and mounted them in a lightweight spaceframe chassis, clothed in a wind-cheating alloy body. Conventional doors were impossible because of the chassis design, so lift up “gullwing” doors were provided instead. The world soon knew it as the 300SL, the letters standing for “sports lightweight”.
For 1953 Uhlenhaut planned a series of improvements to the SL, including bigger wheels and tyres, a new form of swing-axle rear suspension and fuel injection for the 3.o litre straight-six engine. But before the revised car could appear in competition Daimler-Benz management turned its focus away from sports cars to Formula 1 Grand Prix racing.
That might have been the end of the SL, had it not been for Austrian émigré Max Hoffman, importer of Mercedes-Benz cars to the US. Legend has it that Hoffman told Daimler-Benz management that if they built a road going 300SL he could sell a thousand of them, and backed up is argument with a down payment.
The production car used the new fuel-injected engine and a slightly longer version of the spaceframe chassis, but reverted to the conventional swing-axle rear suspension of the earlier racing SLs. It was also given a steel body with aluminium opening panels, resulting in a significant increase in weight. Racing SLs had been comfortable trimmed but the road car was even more luxurious, and was given a tilting steering wheel to aid entry and exit. The new car made its debut at the International Motor Sports Show in New York in January 1954.
Production began later that year and continued until 1957, by which time nearly 1400 examples of the “gullwing” SL had been built. It was replaced by a 300SL Roadster, but the folding top and the conventional doors with their wind-down windows were just part of the package of changes which made the new version far easier to live with.
The spaceframe chassis was revised with lower sills to accommodate the normal doors, and extra bracing was introduced into the front bulkhead and above the transmission tunnel to restore the lost stiffness. Though the modifications were effective, they added about 220lb (100kg) to the weight of the car. Engine revisions produced an increase in power to compensate. Another significant change was the adoption of the low-pivot swing-axle design, which improved the Roadster´s on-the-limit handling.
Nearly 1900 Roadsters were built between 1957 and 1963, alongside more than 25,000 of the much cheaper – but visually smaller – 190SL. Both were replaced by another Uhlenhaut masterpiece, the “Pagoda roof” 230SL of 1963. By then the 300SL had established itself as a favourite of the rich and famous: filmstars Tony Curtis and Sophia Loren, King Hussein of Jordan, comedian Tony Hancock and jazz pianist Oscar Peterson all had them. The 300SL was the car to be seen in.
The E-type is an icon of the Swinging Sixties, and it isn´t difficult to see why. Sensational looks, the ability to reach close to 150mph (241km/h), and all for half the price of an Aston or Ferrari. Jaguar´s sports car was an instant success.
Its curvaceous good looks – equally good in roadster and fixed-head forms- were clearly related to the Le Mans winning D-types of the 1950s, sculpted by aerodynamicist Malcolm Sayer. Its structure was similar too, with monocoque central tub and a tubular front section carrying the engine and front wheels –though the exotic aluminium and magnesium alloys of the D-type were replaced by steel.
The E-types´s engine was also shared with previous models, a 3.8 litre development of the fine straight-six XK unit with a claimed 265bhp. Wishbones and torsion bars provided independent suspension at the front, and the rear was also independently suspended by lower wishbones, fixed length driveshaft’s and twin coil spring/damper units.
Jaguar claimed a top speed of 150mph (241km/h), which road tests subsequently proved – though the test cars had been carefully prepared and, in truth, production cars felt slightly short of the mark. Although production E-types weren´t quite as quick, they were still as rapid as almost any competitor and much cheaper than most.
The model soon became a regular sports car racing, and Jaguar built a short run of lightweight E-types which are now highly prized.
A better gearbox and torquier, 4.2 litre engine were introduced in 1964, and a two-plus-two coupe followed in 1966. Nine inches longer than the two-seater and an inch and a half taller, the two-plus-two was oddly proportioned-giving it an ungainly appearance.
Numerous small changes were implemented in what became known as the “Series One and a Half”, including a change to open sealed beam headlamps, before the series II proper was unveiled in 1968. The headlamps had been moved forward slightly and bigger indicators fitted, and the air intake had been enlarged to admit cooling air for the new optional air conditioning. Inside rocker switches replaced protruding toggle switches.
Thanks to its stunning looks and still impressive performance the E-type is a favourite among classic car enthusiasts the world over.
Tom G John Ltd. acquired the business of Holley Brothers, Coventry in 1919 and built a 50cc motor scooter known as the Stafford Mobile Pup. The company was also an agent for stationary engines from the Hillman Motor Car Company, this agency survived until 1921.
Shortly after starting his business Tom John was approached by Geoffrey de Freville with designs for a 4-cylinder car. The design called for aluminium pistons and pressure lubrication, unusual for the period. It is suggested that de Freville thought of Alvis as being a truly international name.
Geoffrey De Freville, founder of the Aluminium Alloy Piston Company during the war, had no further connections with Tom John. Tom G John Ltd. Became the Alvis Car & Engineering Company Ltd. in 1921 and moved to Holyhead Road, Coventry. The first Alvis was the 10/30 and soon set the reputation for quality and performance for which the company became famous.
In 1922 the Buckingham cyclecar was an attempt to enter the lower end of the market but was soon abandoned.
Captain GT Smith-Clarke joined from Daimler as Chief Engineer & Works Manager in 1923 and was soon joined by WM Dunn as Chief Draughtsman. This partnership lasted for 25 years and was responsible for many designs.
Despite the quality of their products Alvis went into receivership in June 1924 and the Board was reorganised with Sir Arthur Lowes Dickinson, an accountant, as chairman while Tom John remained as Managing Director.
During the 1930's the Speed 20 led to a series of sporting cars capable of 90 mph (145 kph), and eventually to the fastest pre-war Alvis, the 4.3 litre six-cylinder model of 1936-1940 which could reach 100 mph (161 kph).
During the Second World War Alvis carried out war production. But after the war the market for cars such as the 4.3 litre was gone and a car designed before the war, the 1892cc 12/70, was produced as the TA14.
In 1950 a new chassis and six-cylinder 3 litre engine was announced. This engine was used until the company ceased car production in 1967.
Rover took over Alvis in 1965 and were working on the Rover designed, Alvis built P6BS mid-engined V8 coupe prototype in 1968.
The Alvis Company continued in business making military vehicles.
The History of TVR
TVR is an independent British manufacturer of sports cars based in the English city of Blackpool, Lancashire. The company manufactures lightweight sports cars with powerful engines and was the third-largest specialised sports car manufacturer in the world, offering a diverse range of coupés and convertibles. Most vehicles use an in-house straight-6 cylinder engine design; others an in-house V8. TVR sports cars are composed of tubular steel frames, cloaked in aggressive fibreglass body designs.
TVR's two arms are TVR Engineering, which manufactures sports cars and grand tourers, and TVR Power, their powertrain division.
Trevor Wilkinson bought a wheelwright's business in Blackpool in 1946, renaming it Trevcar Motors in 1947, for the purpose of selling and repairing cars and light engineering.
In 1947, Wilkinson built his first car, a special two-seater body on an Alvis Firebird chassis for himself. As a result, Wilkinson with partner Jack Pickard then started a separate company, TVR Engineering, with a name derived from Wilkinson's name TreVoR. Their first car was an alloy-bodied two seater on a tubular chassis, which appeared in 1949.
In 1953 the concept of glass-reinforced plastic bodywork over a tubular steel backbone chassis was accepted, and continued throughout TVR's current production history. In 1954, TVR Engineering was renamed TVR, in light of the launch of the first "production" car called the Mk1, later name Grantura. The glass fibre body design and layout remained, in modified form, until replaced by the angular wedge design Tasmin in 1980.
At the launch in the 1950s, TVRs were powered by 4-cylinder engines from Coventry Climax, BMC or Ford, the performance models having Shorrock superchargers. As with many other British sports cars, engine sizes remained under two litres, and all produced less than 100 bhp (75 kW). As most TVRs were sold in the domestic British market, to avoid a British tax on assembled cars many of the early cars were sold in kit form a practice which continued until the 1970s, when the tax loophole was closed and the kit-form option removed.
In the 1980s, under the ownership of Peter Wheeler a chemical industry consultant and TVR enthusiast TVR moved away from naturally-aspirated and turbocharged V6s back to large V8s, namely the Rover V8 . Capacity grew from 3.5 to 5 litres.
In July 2004, 24-year-old Nikolay Smolensky bought the company from Wheeler.
In April 2006, responding to falling demand and with production rumoured to have dropped from 12 cars a week to 3 or 4, TVR laid off staff and announced plans to move to updated facilities in the Squires Gate district of Blackpool.
In October 2006 Smolensky announced that body production and final assembly for TVR would move to Turin, Italy, with only engine production remaining in the UK. By December 2006, it emerged that Smolensky had split TVR into a number of different companies:
Brand and intellectual property rights had been transferred to a core Smolensky company
TVR Motors held the licence to the brands and intellectual property in the UK, as well as sales and marketing of the brand
TVR Power the parts and spares business had been sold to a management buyout
Blackpool Automotive the factory and manufacturing assets
By 24 December Blackpool Automotive was in administration. Since then Smolensky has regained control of the company and was hoping to restart production, with a target of 2,000 cars to be sold in 2008.
The History of MG
MG Cars is a former British sports car manufacturer, which was founded in 1924, the creator of the MG brand.
MG Cars is best known for its two-seat open sports cars, but MG also produced saloons and coupés. More recently, the MG marque has also been used on sportier versions of other models belonging to the parent company.
The MG marque was in continuous use (barring the years of the Second World War) for 56 years after its inception. Production of predominantly two-seater sports cars was concentrated at a factory in Abingdon, some 10 miles south of Oxford. The British Motor Corporation (BMC) competition department was also based at the Abingdon plant and produced many winning rally and race cars. In the autumn of 1980, however, the Abingdon factory closed and MGB production ceased.
Between 1982 and 1991, the MG marque was revived on sportier versions of Austin Rover's Metro, Maestro and Montego ranges. After an interval of barely one year, the MG marque was revived again, this time on the MG RV8 an updated MGB Roadster with a Rover V8 engine, which was produced in low volumes.
The "real" revival came in the summer of 1995, when the high volume MG F two-seater roadster was launched. This was an instant hit with buyers, and sold in volumes which had been unthinkable on affordable two-seaters since the 1970s.
The MG marque passed, along with the Rover marque to the MG Rover group in May 2000, when BMW 'broke up' the Rover Group. This arrangement saw the return of MG badges on sportier Rover-based cars, and a revised MG F model, known as the MG TF, launched in 2002. However, all production ceased in April 2005 when MG Rover went into administration.
The assets of MG Rover were bought by Chinese carmaker Nanjing Automobile in July 2005 who themselves were bought by SAIC in December 2007.
In 2007 production of the MG TF roadster and MG 7 large sports saloon (derived from the previous Rover 75/MG ZT model) started in China. Assembly of MG TFs for the European market, from Chinese built complete knock down (CKD) kits, was started by NAC MG UK at Longbridge in August 2008.
MG Cars got its name from Morris Garages, a dealer of Morris cars in Oxford which began producing its own customised versions to the designs of Cecil Kimber who had joined the company as its Sales Manager in 1921 and was promoted to General Manager in 1922. Kimber remained as General Manager until 1941 when he fell out with Lord Nuffield over procuring wartime work. Kimber died in 1945 in a freak railway accident.
The first cars which were rebodied Morris models using coachwork from Carbodies of Coventry and were built in premises in Alfred Lane, Oxford but demand soon caused a move to larger premises in Bainton Road in September 1925 sharing space with the Morris radiator works. Continuing expansion meant another move in 1927 to a separate factory in Edmund Road, Cowley, Oxford, near the main Morris factory and for the first time it was possible to include a production line. In 1928 the company had become large enough to warrant an identity separate from the original Morris Garages and the M.G. Car Company Limited was established in March of that year and in October for the first time a stand was taken at the London Motor Show. Space again soon ran out and a search for a permanent home led to the lease of part an old leather factory in Abingdon, Oxfordshire in 1929, gradually taking over more space until production ended there in 1980.
Originally owned personally by William Morris, the company was sold to Morris Motors (itself part of the Nuffield Organisation) in 1935.
MG was absorbed into the British Motor Corporation, created in 1952 as a merger of the Nuffield Organisation and the Austin Motor Company. Under BMC, several MG models were no more than badge-engineered versions of other marques, with the main exception being the small MG sports cars. BMC merged with Jaguar Cars in 1966 to form British Motor Holdings, which in turn merged with the Leyland Motor Corporation in 1968 to form the British Leyland Motor Corporation (BLMC).
Following partial nationalisation in 1975 BLMC became British Leyland (later just BL). Amidst a mix of economic, internal and external politics, the Abingdon factory was shut down and later forms of MGs built by BL's Austin Rover Group were often badge-engineered Austins, and were made at the Longbridge plant.
After BL became the Rover Group in 1986, ownership of the MG marque passed to British Aerospace in 1988 and then in 1994 to BMW.
BMW sold the business in 2000 and the MG marque passed to the MG Rover Group based in Longbridge, Birmingham. The practice of selling unique MG sports cars alongside badge-engineered models (by now Rovers) continued. The Group went into receivership in 2005 and car production was suspended on 7 April 2005.
In 2006, it was reported that an initiative called Project Kimber, led by David James, had entered talks with Nanjing to buy the MG brand in order to produce a range of sports cars based on the discontinued Smart Roadster design by DaimlerChrysler. No agreement was reached, which resulted in the AC Cars marque being adopted for the new model instead.
On 22 July 2005, the Nanjing Automobile Group purchased the rights to the MG brand and the assets of the MG Rover Group for £53 million creating a new company NAC MG UK Limited. Its new Chinese owners, stated that the brand would stand for something new in China, as MG general manager Zhang Xin said: "We want Chinese consumers to know this brand as 'Modern Gentleman'. To see that this brand represents grace and style." In Europe it still stands for "Morris Garages".
Nanjing restarted production of the MG TF and ZT ranges in early 2007. The TF and the ZT (renamed the MG 7) are assembled in Pukou, Jiangsu Province in China. The MG 3, a rebadged Rover Streetwise, also entered production at Pukou.
On 11 July 2006 Nanjing announced the development of a TF sports coupé. A new plant was to be built in Ardmore, Oklahoma to build the car, accounting for roughly 60% of TF output worldwide. A new development centre would also be opened in the United States, located at the University of Oklahoma. According to Nanjing, MGs were to go on sale in the United States in the early summer of 2008. However, in an interview in August, 2008, NAC MG UK's Sales and Marketing Director, Gary Hagen stated that the Oklahoma deal had fallen through. He also said that there would be no immediate return to the US market as they would first be concentrating on the UK and Ireland followed by the rest of Europe.
In 2007, NAC entered talks about a merger with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation, supported by the Chinese government. The takeover was completed on 26 December 2007. SAIC manufactures the Roewe 750, which, like the MG 7, is derived from the Rover 75/MG ZT.
The MG range was relaunched in Britain during 2008, with an updated limited edition of the TF built at Longbridge by NAC MG UK, called the TF LE500. Production of the TF at Longbridge was suspended again in October 2009.
In January 2009, NAC MG UK was renamed MG Motor UK Limited.
The MG 6 hatchback variant of the Roewe 550 was announced in April 2009. It is expected that this model will be assembled both in China, starting in 2010, and at Longbridge, in 2011.
Automated Dealer Package
£550 for 6 months or £1,000 for 12 months
*Rate is not each month, but one full payment due at the time of set up*
Manual Dealer Package
£400 for 6 months or £700 for 12 months
Please contact me for further information and to sign up to one of our advertising packages.
Leacy Classics - your best source for high quality parts, spares and accessories for all makes and models of classic British sports cars.
Leacy Classics have been manufacturing and distributing classic British car parts to both the trade and retail markets for over 30 years. With access to a stock of over 50,000 lines and a purpose built distribution centre in Birmingham, Leacy Classics are able to supply the needs of customers both large and small all over the world.
Many of the high quality British sports car spares we supply are manufactured exclusively for us using original equipment tooling purchased by ourselves over the last 30 years.
Leacy Classics are a British sports car specialist in parts, spares and accessories for MGA, MGB, MGC, MGBGT, MGF, MGTF, MG Midget, MG T-Series, Austin Healey Sprite, Triumph TR2, TR3, TR4, TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8 and TR250, Triumph Spitfire, Morris Minor and Classic Mini. We also stock a limited number of parts for AH 100/4, 100/6, 3000, Triumph Stag, Triumph GT6, Triumph Dolomite and Jaguar E-Type (XKE) & XJ12.
We have one of the largest selections of genuine SU Carburettor parts and spares. Many of the parts we have in stock are rare or hard to find Lucas, Rover or British Leyland genuine spares. Leacy Classics is a British Motor Heritage approved specialist for MG, Austin Healey, Classic Mini, Morris Minor, Triumph and approved stockist of Steelcraft body panels and body shells.
Russo and Steele Sports and Muscle Monterey Auction Event
August 16th – 18th 2012
Russo and Steele’s 12th Annual Sports and Muscle auction event in beautiful Monterey, CA is among an elite list of events that contribute to Monterey’s Historic Car Week, and holds the hottest ticket to Monterey’s Race Weekend, billed as the “Mecca of Collector Automobiles”.
Russo and Steele continues to offer a collection of the highest quality, most luxurious and collectable European sports, American muscle, hot rods and custom automobiles suitable to satisfy any automotive desires with both reserve and no reserve automobiles.
Concurrent with the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance weekend Russo and Steele’s Monterey auction is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Monterey, CA.
The three evening event will auction over 250 automobiles in its highly interactive, visceral ground level auction arena that provides cars with no separation from the buyers; known as the auction-in-the-round format and only found at Russo and Steele auction events.
E & R Classics is one of the biggest classic car dealers in Europa with a showroom of over 750 m2. Wij have a wide variety of oldtimer cars and classic cars.
We specialize in MG, Triumph, Austin Healey and Porsche. But we also sell cars of famous brands as Mercedes, Volvo, Cadillac and Chevrolet.
Because of our good priced cars we sell classic cars to nearly all countries in Europe. We buy and import the cars from all countries in Europe and from California and Texas in the USA.