The Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) was a British manufacturer of vehicles, firearms and military equipment and is still active as a manufacturer and distributor of sports airguns. In peak production, BSA was the world's largest producer of motorcycles. A contraction in sales and limited investment in the two-wheel division, which included Triumph Motorcycles, led to serious problems for the entire group. The BSA was founded in 1861 in Gun Quarter, Birmingham (England) by fourteen gun manufacturers from the Birmingham Small Arms Trade Association who jointly won a government contract for the Crimean war. With the decline of war production, the company added the production of bicycles (1880) to the production of weapons, while the first prototype of a motorcycle dates back to 1903. The first prototype of a car dates back to 1907 and will be sold the following year in 150 units.
In 1909 the catalog of motorcycles included several models and in 1910 the BSA bought the British Daimler Company to be able to build car engines inside the group.
During the First World War the BSA provided the British army with weapons, motorcycles and various vehicles to withstand the war effort. After the conflict, Airco, an aeronautical company that failed with the end of military orders, took over (1920). The aeronautical activities, considered not interesting, were sold to Geoffrey de Havilland. 1919 saw the birth of BSA Motorcycles Ltd. as a subsidiary of the BSA group. 1921 saw the return of BSA cars to the market, with a model powered by a V-twin, followed by a four-cylinder model. After a suspension (between 1926 and 1929) the range of BSA cars included three-wheeled cars and larger four-wheeled models, until the definitive cessation of automobile activity in 1936. As for the motorcycle branch, the range at the beginning of the 1930s included models from 250 to 1000 cm³, all with 4 strokes: among the most important models we recall the Blue Star, single-cylinder valve with a head of 250, 350 or 500 good performance cm³, replaced in 1938 by the Gold Star.
- Exterior Colour Dark Green