125-150-175 is a series of motorcycles built by Gilera between 1949 and 1960. After the Second World War, there was a large spread of the two motorized wheels (both in the form of micromotors and as a scooter or motorcycle), which helped to solve the mobility problems of the population. Responses to this need were almost immediate by Italian motorcycle cases, both for those already on the market in the postwar period (Bianchi, Moto Guzzi) and for that myriad of builders who appeared after the conflict as Ducati, Innocenti, Mondial, Moto Morini, Parilla and Piaggio, as well as a wide range of assemblers, many of whom "inspired" the DKW RT 125, able to twist 125-stroke two-stroke models from the costs associated with the economic constraints of the Immediate War. At the end of the war, Gilera had preferred to present Neptune and Saturn in mid-1946 models of medium to large capacity. Giuseppe Gilera, however, realized that these bikes were not one of the most suitable to deal with the market, and therefore decided to commission engineer Piero Remor of the study of an economic model, but with a four-stroke engine. The goal of putting on the market an economical "125", but with a prestigious 4-stroke engine, is however the only one agreed between Giuseppe Gilera and Piero Remor, whose various technical concepts are already under design. We remind ourselves that the Gilera, linked to corporate traditions, prefers to point to a proven and economical distribution at lateral crossings. After a long series of discussions, enlivened by the sharp character of the two characters, Remor resigned, oblivious to neck, to design the engine with side valves. At the Milan Motor Show in 1948, Gilera presented the prototype of a "125" (displaced at the time exempted from the bill) which was distinguished for the simple and clean line, but which was warmly welcomed by the public, the dealers and the specialized press, a cause of the modest performance due to the timely concept of the propulsion that developed 3.5 hp and allowed a speed of 70 km / h. The need to switch to valve-headed distribution caused a further technical clash between Gilera and Remor about the option of completely refurbishing the engine, backed by the designer, and to modify the existing one supported by the "patron".
The iron arm between the two was once again won by Giuseppe Gilera and that is why the new engine is characterized by the strange positioning of the rods and shaft gears that would not have been able to find the correct position behind the cylinder , without distorting the structure of the block. In the Gilera settlement, the climate between the technical director and the owner was very tense, dotted with numerous discussions on technical and economic details, until Remor's decision at the end of 1949 to leave Arcore's home to move to MV Agusta, together with assistants Andrea and Arturo Magni.
It is presented in 1956 with the name of 150 V, but immediately renamed G 175. At the end of the year the range is expanded with the Gran Turismo and Extra models (the latter takes on some features of the B 300 as a chain primary instead of gears), while the G 175 is renamed Normal. In 1957 the Sport models (with the Gran Turismo engine) and Rossa Extra (with the Extra type engine) arrived. The range was later simplified in 1958 with the production output of Extrad. The 175 remain a catalog until 1960. It will produce 10 500 copies.
- Exterior Colour Red
- Engine Size 175cc